Skip to main content

Airbnb, we're done. For real.

Oh, the community. Uber, Lyft, Yelp, Airbnb... all of these platforms meant to facilitate business transactions across an organically-grown "community" of people, who may otherwise not have the opportunity to realize their dream of being a driver on-demand.... a small-time bed and breakfast host... a travel writer.

The idea of these services has turned into a multibillion dollar industry. And as a semi-urbanite who *should* love the disruption they create for traditional hotels, taxis, and concierge services, I swiftly reject them as fast as I would an Amazon Echo.

After a recent trip to Sopot, where our only viable options for staying were airbnb (though after our trip, I'd now suggest to other people: find another city where you have more than airbnb to choose from), I'm done. Our host was fine, the flat was not. The cost was absurd for what we got, especially once you add in the unexplained fees and inconsistent experiences across different hosts. But the market prevails, as they say. Here's what irks me the most:

  1. Hosts always win.
    • The review system encourages a host to review you - a PAYING GUEST - as if you were someone they had personal knowledge of. This has never made sense to me because it is about the property, not the people. Why should someone get my money and have the right to publicly opine about how "clean" I am?
    • I've heard of several stories, including our own experiences, where a place wasn't as advertised. Airbnb customer service is so hesitant to get involved that you're on your own - if you can afford to find a replacement accommodation, it'll be hard to get airbnb to facilitate the cancellation and cost unless something is really bad. Beyond moldy (ew) sheets, broken stoves, etc. 
  2. There's never a consistent rulebook
    • Guidebook, check. Rulebook, it's the wild west. Many hosts require a deposit, but I've stayed in several where they don't tell you what to do on checkout to get the money back. And even if you ask (as I have), you may not get a straight answer (though at least that part is in writing). 
    • It's not that hard to write a short list of requests, if you have them, for guests to complete on checkout. Without it, it can leave guests in a rush to leave but fearing a bad review, flurrying to try and figure out where the heck they're supposed to take out the trash. Every single time I've used VRBO, I have had a clear rulebook. Points to VRBO. 
  3. The service fees.
    • What am I paying for? I know, VRBO has a service fee too. But I have never heard of nor had the same problems I have with airbnb, as with VRBO. Whether their fee is better used or the company is better run, they simply execute their service more effectively. Airbnb has some good press, I'll give them that. 
Our apartment in Sopot along with a previous one in Copenhagen taught me that hosts are allowed to have a sense of entitlement. They don't need to tell you the whole story about their accommodation. They can have mini-empires, renting and managing airbnbs on behalf of other people (which wasn't really the idea of airbnb, was it?), taking advantage of the platform without having the requisite licensing a true multi-housing operator might need. 

Frankly, I applaud cities who regulate airbnb and airbnb should put better standards on their rentals as well. Regulation is not a bad thing. Having a consistently pleasant vacation experience will usually result in repeat customers. As for me, I'll be off using other websites, of which there are plenty: VRBO, wimdu, onefinestay, home exchanges, and so many more. 

Comments

  1. Yupp my feelings exactly!

    The website is a pain but I now use booking.com and search for apartments. Get the samething with hotel style service

    Rob

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3 Perfect Days in and around Hamburg

Road trip time! Hamburg is about 5 hours (plus kids = 7ish) north of where we live, and we had never seen the region... summer holiday seemed the perfect time. We drove up on a Monday, returning on Thursday, with 2 days in the city and one at a fruit farm in Jork. This region, apparently, produces the most fruit in western Europe! I bet it's gorgeous in spring. Day 1: We tried out wimdu for an apartment just north of the city. The price was right, the location was great, and the owners were incredibly nice. It was a bit tight for four of us (mostly because the kids wanted to stay up late with us / not sleep), but worked fine for the short visit. We had made afternoon reservations for Miniatur Wunderland , so we took our time getting to the city. We drove in, parking at Contipark (max 12 euros/ day, better than other lots that max out at 20 euros/day or so), which are all over central Hamburg. The plan was to walk through the warehouse district and make our way to Landungsb

Saturday Morning Comparisons: by haiku

2 haikus 9 am Sunday morning in downtown Austin: Cyclists in spandex spin by Amidst the stench of vomit and homelessness Empty streets save for a motorcycle parade. 9 am Sunday morning, Alstadt, Mainz: The sun is shining A giant farmer's market fills the plaza Pedestrians, bikers, families smiling together.

6 Months In (almost)

We're coming up to our 6th month here. It feels especially poignant because our kindergartener finished his first semester in an American school. And boy was that first day full of tears. That day, that week, I think the whole month - every dropoff for every kid, every whatsapp text from a friend back home - anything set me off with this horrible guilty feeling that we had made a terrible mistake. (Full disclosure: I still feel like this nearly every day, but at least I'm not in daily tears about it...?) I'll never forget that first day of kindergarten. Staying at a dumpy (yet somehow $120/night) hotel with a free breakfast (truly, free breakfast at American hotels is the saddest breakfast), our son asked us to pack him a lunch. How? I asked him to please buy, it would be warm, he could eat well, and ... I didn't have a kitchen. He said, how about an egg sandwich? I put together the saddest egg sandwich I'd ever seen: 2 dry pieces of toast (no matter how much I ad