Skip to main content

A Perfect Afternoon in Brussels

Brussels is a short 3 hours by ICE from Frankfurt, and a nice change of scenery from the big city. Although bustling in its own right, Brussels was peaceful at 9:30 am, when my train arrived. Most shops were closed, but luckily Dandoy's breakfast stand was open - perfect, to warm up and eat a waffle. Although I didn't taste their delicious-looking, but extremely pricey "handmade" biscuits, my waffle and fruit sauce hit the spot!

The Grand Place in Brussels, which appeared to be the centerpoint for tourists like myself, is simply stunning. Even on a dreary gray day, the gold-leafed buildings seemed to glimmer a little more brightly and were a nice change from the dark stone buildings in the Marktplatz of many German towns we've seen. I walked around the square to take it all in, snapped a few pictures, and headed up to see the Manneken Pis and his costume of the day. Definitely a tourist trap, but also only a 10 minute walk from the Grand Place, so why not?

On the recommendation of a friend, I headed off to the Comic Strip Museum. It's a bit off the beaten path, but the 20 minute walk gave me a good sense of the business side of Brussels. It could be any city, though I enjoyed seeing street signs and billboards written in Flemish, French, and English. En route, I swung by a grocery store to pick up food-related souvenirs - more waffles, and some speculus biscuits. The Belgian chocolate purchase would have to wait until I found the specialty shops.

After getting my fill of the history of Belgian comic strips, I headed back towards Rue Antoine Dansaert to wander and grab a bite to eat at Le Petit Chou de Bruxelles. I tried Flemish stew - their version was hearty and delicious until it cooled down; then the meat got tough. The meal hit the spot though, giving me energy to window-shop a bit longer before heading for the Place du Grand Sablon, the corner of all the chocolate shops.

It's a good thing I walked (~ 1 mile), because nearly every shop has free samples and tempting chocolates to buy, smell, or gawk at. I stopped by Wittamer for a delicious almond cake - the cafe upstairs was buzzing with people - and popped in and out of Godiva, Leonidas, Pierre Marcolino, and a few other specialty shops. My favorite though, was Frederic Blondeel, off the main road and with only a few tables and small drinks menu. I had a delicious Ghanaian chocolate hot cocoa, served with 2 delectable dark chocolates and a glass of water. Only EUR 3,60! The staff was extremely hospitable, and it just felt like a cozy place to stay a while.

On a nice day, I would have spent more time at the huge antiques market at the Grand Sablon, but it was too chilly to browse antique jewelry and knicknacks. Just as well, who has room in the house! Instead, I holed up with my hot chocolate until it was time to head back to Centraal Station for the train home. There, I was surprised with the lack of healthy eating options - better at Brussels-Noord, but probably best to buy something before you get to the station if you'll be eating a takeaway meal on the way home. Though a second day - perhaps in Brugge - would have been a nice continuation of the Belgian exploration, Brussels made for the perfect 1-day adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Perfect Days in and around Hamburg

Road trip time! Hamburg is about 5 hours (plus kids = 7ish) north of where we live, and we had never seen the region... summer holiday seemed the perfect time. We drove up on a Monday, returning on Thursday, with 2 days in the city and one at a fruit farm in Jork. This region, apparently, produces the most fruit in western Europe! I bet it's gorgeous in spring. Day 1: We tried out wimdu for an apartment just north of the city. The price was right, the location was great, and the owners were incredibly nice. It was a bit tight for four of us (mostly because the kids wanted to stay up late with us / not sleep), but worked fine for the short visit. We had made afternoon reservations for Miniatur Wunderland , so we took our time getting to the city. We drove in, parking at Contipark (max 12 euros/ day, better than other lots that max out at 20 euros/day or so), which are all over central Hamburg. The plan was to walk through the warehouse district and make our way to Landungsb

6 Months In (almost)

We're coming up to our 6th month here. It feels especially poignant because our kindergartener finished his first semester in an American school. And boy was that first day full of tears. That day, that week, I think the whole month - every dropoff for every kid, every whatsapp text from a friend back home - anything set me off with this horrible guilty feeling that we had made a terrible mistake. (Full disclosure: I still feel like this nearly every day, but at least I'm not in daily tears about it...?) I'll never forget that first day of kindergarten. Staying at a dumpy (yet somehow $120/night) hotel with a free breakfast (truly, free breakfast at American hotels is the saddest breakfast), our son asked us to pack him a lunch. How? I asked him to please buy, it would be warm, he could eat well, and ... I didn't have a kitchen. He said, how about an egg sandwich? I put together the saddest egg sandwich I'd ever seen: 2 dry pieces of toast (no matter how much I ad

Saturday Morning Comparisons: by haiku

2 haikus 9 am Sunday morning in downtown Austin: Cyclists in spandex spin by Amidst the stench of vomit and homelessness Empty streets save for a motorcycle parade. 9 am Sunday morning, Alstadt, Mainz: The sun is shining A giant farmer's market fills the plaza Pedestrians, bikers, families smiling together.